The NEW FUJIFILM X20 reconnects style with substance, bringing the essence of photography back to life
[compiled by KopiOkaya]
FUJIFILM Corporation is proud to announce the launch of the new FUJIFILM X20 premium compact camera. Following in the footsteps of the highly acclaimed X10, the FUJIFILM X20 inherits its high-precision lens and refined design, while featuring substantially improved performance. With an X-TransCMOS II sensor, EXR Processor II and newly-developed Advanced Optical Viewfinder, the X20 is packed full of FUJIFILM’s latest technology. The X20 is available in both black and two-tone black and silver.
The X20’s bright optical viewfinder features a newly-developed Digital Trans Panel. This displays the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focusing area and other shooting information perfectly clearly, even in low-light conditions. What’s more, the X20’sAdvanced Optical Viewfinder synchs with the zoom lens, so that users can accurately compose shots using the viewfinder even when the focal length is constantly changing.
The newly-developed 12 million pixels 2/3-inch X-Trans CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II, which increase resolution by approx. 20% and reduce noise by more than 30%, have the ability to capture high resolution images. Thanks to the removal of the optical low pass filter and powerful processor, the FUJIFILM X20 will produce clear images with minimal graininess even at high ISO settings.
The newly-developed X-Trans CMOS II sensor has built-in Phase Detection pixels forhigh-speed AF in as little as 0.06 seconds. Additionally, the EXR Processor II offers fast response with a start-up time of only approx. 0.5 seconds, a shutter time lag of approx. 0.01 seconds and a shooting interval of 0.5 seconds providing advanced flexibility.
1. Advanced Optical Viewfinder with real time shooting data for improved usability and a bright view
Despite its compact size, the FUJIFILM X20 sports a bright and clear optical viewfinder with a horizontal apparent field of view of 20 degrees and coverage of 85%. It is synched to the zoom lens and comes with an eye sensor for enhanced usability. The X20’s viewfinder also has a newly-developed Digital Trans Panel, which is less than 1mm in depth and highly transparent. It presents the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focusing area and other shooting information so that users can continue shooting comfortably without having to take their eye off the action. The Digital Trans Panel automatically switches the color of information in the shooting frame according to the scene and shooting conditions. Normally displayed in black, shooting information is automatically displayed by green LEDs for enhanced visibility in especially dark scenes. And when an error occurs, the displayed information changes to red to aid users shooting decisions.
2. Premium image quality with edge to edge clarity and minimal noise
The X20 features the newly-developed 12 million pixels 2/3-inch X-Trans CMOS II sensor. The highly random nature of Fujifilm’s unique color filter array eliminates the need for an optical low-pass filter, while maintaining high resolution images with edge to edge clarity. Optical low-pass filters have traditionally been used in conventional sensors to reduce false color and moiré effects, however this also means sacrificing image quality.
The camera uses Lens Modulation Optimizer to reduce optical effects such as lens diffraction, which occurs when light passes through a lens. Even at an aperture of F8, the X20 retains sharpness and texture in the fine details, drawing out the full potential of the lens.
The sensor’s excellent sensitivity is coupled with the processor’s advanced signal processing capacity to reduce noise by more than 30% compared to its predecessor. Even shooting in low-light (e.g. indoors or at night) at a high ISO setting, the X20 will produce a clear image with minimal graininess.
3. High-speed features and AF in as little as 0.06 seconds
The newly-developed X-Trans CMOSII sensor has built-in Phase Detection pixels for high-speed AF in as little as 0.06 seconds. Furthermore, its BSI (Back-Side Illuminated) sensor structure means the Phase Detection pixels can gather sufficient light, whatever the angle of incidence, at a large aperture, to deliver high-precision AF. The Intelligent Hybrid AF automatically switches to Contrast AF when the subject or scene demands it to ensure that the camera always auto-focuses at the highest speed and precision levels possible.
A Focus Peak Highlight feature helps photographers by highlighting high contrast areas of your subject. It provides a guide for focusing in situations where it’s difficult to tell whether the subject is correctly focused; allowing users to manually focus while viewing on the LCD monitor.
The EXR Processor II delivers performance twice that of the previous generation. The X20 offers fast response times with a start-up time of only approx. 0.5 seconds, a shutter time lag of 0.01 seconds and a shooting interval of 0.5 seconds providing advanced flexibility. The X20 also delivers an impressive burst rate of 12 frames per second (max. 11 frames) at the full 12 million pixels resolution.
4. High precision F2.0-2.8 4x manual barrel zoom lens
Incredible attention to detail has been paid when designing this high precision lens. It is made up of 11 glass elements in 9 groups, including 3 aspherical lens elements and 2 ED lens elements. The result is an ultra bright lens with a wide-angle maximum aperture of 2.0 and telephoto maximum aperture of 2.8. FUJINON’s proprietary HT-EBC coating is applied to the lens in order to effectively control flare and ghosting from appearing on images.
The optical 4x manual zoom lens allows users to determine precise composition quickly and instinctively, and the use of metal for the lens barrel and its internal structures provides a really smooth zooming action. In Super Macro mode you can get as close as 1cm from your subject, for stunning close-up shots.
The X20’s unique image stabilization mechanism shifts 5 lens elements compensating for camera shake by up to 4 stops, it also effectively prevents motion blur while stopping vignetting and loss of image resolution that usually occurs during camera shake compensation.
Additionally, the X20’s lens incorporates 7 diaphragm blades which enable you to create a beautiful soft ‘bokeh’ effect to make your subject stand out off the background perfectly.
5. Artistic photography
This exciting new camera features FUJIFILM’s proprietary Film Simulation modes. Users can choose from ten different modes which simulate the effects of traditional Fujifilm films. Including color reversal film effects (Velvia / PROVIA / ASTIA), professional color negative film (PRO Neg.Std / PRO Neg.Hi), monochrome filters (MONOCHROME, Ye filter, R filter and G filter) and SEPIA.
Also available on the X20 are the Advanced Filter functions; users can choose from 8 different artistic effects:
- Pop Color – Emphasizes contrast and color saturation.
- Toy Camera – Create shaded borders as if you were taking a photo on a toy camera.
- Miniature – Adds top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect.
- Dynamic Tone – Create a fantasy effect by dynamically-modulated tonal reproduction.
- Partial Color – Retain one selected original color and change the rest of the photo to black and white. Colors can be selected from red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple for dramatic effect.
- High Key – Enhance brightness and reduce contrast to lighten tonal reproduction.
- Low Key – Create uniformly dark tones with few areas of emphasized highlights.
- Soft Focus – Create a look that is evenly soft throughout the whole image.
A separate Multiple Exposure function offers users the chance to combine two separate subjects into one photo, perfect for adding people into photos that they had missed.
6. Full HD Movie Shooting
The X20’s Full HD Movie (1920 x 1080) can shoot at 60fps for very smooth movie capture. Shooting at the high bit-rate of 36Mbps results in reduced noise and enhanced image quality that reveals every detail from individual leaves in the trees to subtle changes in facial expression.
Many of the features available when shooting stills are also available while movie recording. You can take advantage of a number of the Film Simulation modes and exploit the brightness of the lens to shoot movies with a dreamy ‘bokeh’ effect. The NEW Movie Scene Recognition feature can automatically recognize six types of scene and optimise the settings for beautiful results, under a variety of shooting conditions. What’s more the Intelligent Hybrid AF feature is activated during movie recording and an optional Stereo Microphone can be attached to capture sound perfectly.
7. Elegant design and sophisticated operating system
Manufactured in Japan from tough, yet lightweight, die-cast magnesium alloy, the X20’s upper control deck and camera base are superbly designed and add a real sense of style and elegance to the camera. The mode dial and zoom ring have been ergonomically placed and precision-milled from solid aluminium; the exterior is finished with synthetic leather, which is durable and resilient. The two-tone version of the X20 has a specially-formulated silver finish which is applied with a coating that creates the premium feel of thick steel.
Composing and viewing images via the LCD is a pleasure thanks to the X20’s high-contrast, 460K-dot, 2.8-inch Premium screen, with a wide viewing-angle and an enhanced GUI menu system. The X20 also features a ‘Q’ button which can call up frequently-used menu items such as ISO settings and a ‘Fn’ (Function) button which allows users to assign features frequently used while shooting.
The camera’s aspect ratio can be selected from 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 (square) to accommodate a wide range of photographic styles. The camera also features an ADVANCED SR AUTO mode, which recognize the face and every scene type from still portraits to landscapes and even detecting motion to automatically optimise the focus, exposure, ISO and other settings.
8. Key Features
- NEW Advanced Optical Viewfinder with a Digital Trans Panel
- NEW 12 million pixels 2/3-inch X-Trans CMOS II sensor
- Intelligent Hybrid AF in 0.06 seconds
- Improved EXR Processor II
- High quality fast F2.0-2.8 lens
- 4x FUJINON manual barrel zoom lens
- 2.8inch High Contrast LCD monitor (460K dots)
- Pop-up Super Intelligent Flash
- Fast start-up time of 0.5 seconds, shutter time lag of 0.01 seconds
- Super Macro mode (1cm)
- Motion Panorama360
- 8 Advanced Filters, including ‘Pop Color’ for boosting saturation and ‘Toy Camera’ for a retro look
- Q button for frequently used menu items
- Function (Fn) button
- Multiple Exposure
- NEW GUI showing the focal distance, aperture value and shutter speed in sync with the zoom ring or command dial rotation.
- ADVANCED SR AUTO mode with 64 shooting patterns
- Full HD movie (60fps)
- Manual focus during movie recording
- Output for Stereo Microphone (sold separately)
- Focus Peak Highlight function on the LCD screen
- Available in all black or two-tone black and silver
- 4 types of shutter sounds – Lens Shutter, Focal Plane Shutter, Mirror Up and Silent Shutter.
- Film Simulation mode
- Electronic level
- Live histogram
9. Premium Accessory Line-up
- Leather case LC-X20 – made of premium genuine leather.
- Lens Hood and Protector Filter LHF-X20 – a highly transmissive protection filter, applied with the multi-layer coating technology ‘Super EBC’. It is available in black or silver to match the color of the camera body. The dedicated lens hood features slits to ensure a full angle of view for the viewfinder.
- Shoe Mount Flash – three types of FUJIFILM external flash, capable of the proprietary high-precision TTL auto flash control: EF-20 and EF-X20 with the guide number 20, and EF-42 with the guide number 42
- External stereo microphone MIC-ST1 – for recording real sound with impact to go with premium-quality images and full-HD movie